Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blizzard

What defines a blizzard???
A blizzard is a severe storm condition characterized by strong winds and reduced visibility. By definition, the difference between blizzard and a snowstorm is the strength of the wind. To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have winds in excess of 56 km/h (35 mph) with blowing or drifting snow which reduces visibility to 400 meters or ¼ mile or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more.[

That's what we got yesterday in Mid Missouri.
 It started snowing around 7am

With wind gusts all day

 Didn't stop until around 7 pm
 This is the back door to our deck.  The snow drifts are about 4 feet high.

 Our neighbor's car

 Neil's courageous attempt to make it to work this morning....Stuck!
Through out the day, Harper & Bria had puppet shows, baked cookies & played nonstop. We stayed in our pj's all day & enjoyed having a snow day.

Our city basically shut down, most businesses were closed besides the hospitals.
Interstate 70 was shut down from Kansas City to St Louis!
We shoveled our driveway at least 6 times to keep up with the snow. 
The snow plows came through our subdivision & we should be able to get out today.

It's fun to have a snow day every now & then, but I'm glad it's over. 
I'm ready for Spring!

Send a comment & let me know if you're snowed in & how much snow you got.
I know other areas got more snow than us.....

4 comments:

  1. My "North End" subdivision hasn't been touched by the City yet :), but 2 of my neighbors tag- teamed our street and paved a lane with their snow blowers. Chuck stayed with us last night and he and Casey made it to work at 5:30 this morning. Casey basically shoveled Chuck down our street then followed in his tire tracks. So much snow! Looks like Bria and Harper are having a blast! My kids have been outside playing off and on; I've baked some bread and made rice krispie treats :) We've gotten our snow fix- now bring on SPRING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is Oh My Goodness!!! That is amazing!!! Hope you all stay safe and sound!!!
    Blessings and Joy~

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had about 18", with snow drifts around 4'. Dan was finally able to get my SUV out, but is still working on digging his truck out. I don't think I've ever seen this much snow at one time. I'm SO ready for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! This is Angie (Maire's momma) We are in Marshall!! Only about an hour from columbia! I went to stephens. I even was offered a job at the Columbia Visitor's Bureau right before we got TA! But couldn't take it--we love como! Can't wait to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete